Thursday, June 30, 2011

Pool success!

Nick's first dip in the pool proved to be a good time had by all. Probably more so by mommy, daddy, Aunt Marissa, and Tio Mateo...but good none the less!

We dressed Nick in his adorable fourth of July swim trunks and swim shirt that Gramma got him a few weeks ago. Thinking ahead to our vacation, she bought him a 6 month sized suit, as he will turn 6 months old that week. Naturally, because he's becoming a little chunk (and I thought he'd never grow), the 6 month size is already fitting just right, and will probably be too small come August. Regardless he looked the part...all the way up to his little iPlay sun hat, which my brother appropriately deemed his Elmer Fudd hat.

I wore my brand new suck-me-in, black-hides-everything, one piece suit. As I took off my cover up, I said to Matt & Marissa, "don't make fun of my mom suit", to which my brother replied "don't make fun of my dad physique". But then when he saw my bathing suit, he said "actually, it looks like you just went in mom's closet and borrowed one of hers". Awesome! Todd couldn't get over the fact that my suit was $51, marked down from $80, but he said if it made me feel comfortable enough to go out in public, he was fine with the cost. Men always know just what to say to really make a woman feel good.

Anywho, we all took turns floating Nick around the pool. He pretty much kept his eyes on the water the whole time, not sure what to make of it. He had a very "studious" look on his face the entire time, and only cracked a couple of smiles when Aunt Marissa and Tio Mateo started blowing bubbles in the water. He also only cried once, when Tio Mateo slipped and Nick's face hit the water -- even though it was less than a second of water-to-face time, it scared him and he stuck out his bottom lip and did a little fake cry that was not very convincing. Aunt Marissa came prepared and brought a couple of pool toys that also kept Nick's attention...especially when he grabbed one of the dive sticks and stuck it in his mouth...yes, I worried all night if he was going to have diarrhea from the pool water he ingested.

Naturally though, I should win mother of the year, because I forgot to bring any sort of sunblock and waited until we were IN the pool to think of it. So we didn't stay at the pool long for fear of my sweet pale baby becoming a lobster.

**I do have to give a shout out to the huggies swimmy diapers though -- they totally work! Not that I've ever taken a baby in a regular diaper in the pool before...or hell, any baby in the pool before, but the swim diapers totally didn't swell up, and they seemed to keep his butt pretty dry.

After about 30-40 mins in the pool, we all jumped out and stripped Nick down to his birthday suit right there on the pool deck. Then we all dried off and headed back to Matt & Marissa's for delicious burgers and pasta salad.

Nick also had his very first applesauce (made by chef moi) last night, and seemed to love it more than anything else he has had so far. He didn't lose a drop of it on his bib, and swallowed every spoonful he was given!

As soon as he finished his apples, he passed out, we all ate dinner, and then we headed out so that Tio Mateo could get ready for his soccer game. Nick slept all the way home, and I was certain the swimming was going to knock him out for the rest of the night. But as soon as we got in the front door, he woke up. So I took him upstairs, dressed him in his new pj's (which are so cute I contemplated having him wear them to daycare today), and gave him his nightly bottle.

Well...he sucked down the bottle, and then started babbling and looking around. So I held him and rocked him and shhhhh'd in his ear for about 45-60 minutes, when he finally closed his eyes. I put him down in the crib, thinking that he was out for the night...wrong.

He woke up just about every 2 hours from 9:00pm - 4:30am. Not like the crying/screaming/I'm unhappy wake-up...but more like the talking/fussing/will-someone-come-in-here-and-find-my-pacifier sort of wake-up. By 4:30am, I was exhausted and I knew he was exhausted, so I picked him up out of the crib, grabbed a blanket, went in my office, and we snuggled on the couch until about 7:00am. He was totally fine with sleeping in my arms. Which is strange because he has been a great sleeper in his crib since he was about 2 months old. I told Todd I think Nick was having bad dreams about being in the pool.

That, or he was sunburned. Way to go, mother of the year!

No comments: